ROBERT FRANCIS, Fort Worth Business Press
The Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce announced its 2017 Small Business of the Year Award finalists on Dec. 2.
In another record year for the number of award nominations and applicants, 12 top Tarrant County businesses have been selected as finalists in competition for the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce’s 2017 Small Business of the Year Award, presented by Northstar Bank of Texas.
Winners will be announced at a reception prior to Mayor Betsy Price’s Annual State of the City address Feb.2, 2017, at the Fort Worth Convention Center. The annual Small Business of the Year Award salutes those businesses that operate with exemplary Best Practices.
“Small businesses may not make big headlines, but they are the foundation of a thriving economy,” said Sherry Green, chairman of the chamber’s Small Business Council committee and president of Technology Team, a previous award winner. “These passionate and determined business owners reflect the pioneering spirit of our city and the diversity of Fort Worth’s business base.”
From a record 147 nominees and 39 written applications, finalists were selected by members of the Small Business Council committee, which includes past award recipients. Site visits by judges to the finalists’ business locations in January will determine the winners.
Finalists, by category, are:
Emerging Businesses (less than 3 years old)
• Alchemy Pops – handcrafted gourmet frozen pops from farm-fresh and local ingredients
• Alpha Industries LLC – fabrication, industrial construction, global logistics
• Skin Deep Laser MD LLC – medical aesthetic center using advanced lasers
• Cornerstone Projects Group – turnkey land, site and building company
• M-Pak Inc. – industrial packaging and tactical clothing/uniform supplier
• Z’s Café – family restaurant and catering services with a non-profit partnership
• Arlington Heights Animal Hospital – full-service veterinary hospital with boarding/grooming/daycare services
• The Fulcrum Group Inc. – IT services firm providing outsourcing to small and midsize businesses
• DOCUmation of North Texas – independent dealer of document technology with nine Texas locations
• Sellmark Corporation – high-quality outdoor lifestyle products featured in top-tier retailers and more than 50 countries
• Southwest Office Systems Inc. – minority-owned independent dealer of document technology
Additional sponsors for the 2017 Small Business of the Year Award program are BB&T, Briggs Freeman Sotheby’s, CliftonLarsonAllen, TCU Neeley School of Business, Tarleton State University, Wells Fargo, Cendera Center and the Fort Worth Business Press.